Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Communication Not Lacking in This Relationship - disabled person: personal commentary of a realationship

How was your conference on augmentative and alternative communication?" Mom asked me when I returned from the 1988 conference


"Great! I found someone special at hand," I said. "Not again," Mom said wearily. "Are you sure that your heart can stand mortal broken again?" I considered reminding my mom that life is a series of risks. Still, Mom's concern be justified. I be born with psychological palsy and cannot talk, waddle, or use my hands. I communicate near an electronic communication device (Touch Talker by the Prentke-Romich Company) that is mounted inside my knees tray.


I use a motorized wheelchair, which I control with pressure from the backbone of my head and near buttons mounted on my tray. For 22 years I talked by pointing to a memorandum board on my lap tray near a stylus attached to my head by a company. Then, at age 32, I got my Touch Talker.


I needed to answer her that it was so lonely I have to see where this relationship would front. But I knew when to maintain quiet.


I didn't share any more details. I didn't communicate her that the conference included a dance so the participant could get to know respectively other. I had to chuckle as I remembered that the waltz floor was inaccessible. I remembered that I have to ask my assistant to get my almanac wheelchair. In the confusion, I forgot to take my Touch Talker onto the salsa floor. A Canadian speech pathologist, who had be at a workshop I led within Toronto in 1987, saw me.


She introduced me to her colleague, Chris, an employment therapist, and asked me if I considered necessary to dance beside them in a group hop. However, a few minutes later the speech pathologist discretely disappeared, disappearing Chris and me alone.


On the dance floor I have been stripped of adjectives my wonderful assistive technology -- my definition of "roughing it." I couldn't even say, "Me Tarzan."


The chance and wonderful thing in the order of it was Chris and I communicated in need talking.


I didn't expect it would happen, but it seem Chris really wanted to spend time near me and dance beside me.


My assistant, Don, came over to us and asked, "Do you want to foxtrot the last foxtrot with her on your foot? You can bear your solidity, so she only have to help you be a foil for." I looked at Chris, and she said, "I guess that would be all right."


By the time we get me out of the wheelchair the last foxtrot had almost done. Don shouted, "One more please," to the disc jockey. The DJ accommodated us. When the do had completed. Don helped me stern into my manual wheelchair. Then, he pulled me up the steps to my power wheelchair, strapped me into it and put my nouns tray on the wheelchair. Then Don said good darkness and went to our room.


I like Chris. She was incredibly honest. She have dirty blonde short hair and the brownest eyes that hide behind gold-rimmed eyeglasses. We talked for 30 minutes. Then Chris said, "I call for to get to bed. I give a presentation early this morning. Do you inevitability help getting subsidise to your room?"


I shook my head and said, "I can fashion it back by myself. Thank you anyway. See you around."


"I need the kids who I work with be as independent as you are," she said.


I watched her give up. Independence was outstandingly over-rated. I hated it. I have prayed to God on several occasions to filch my desire to have a wife away from me or to fulfill it. He have done neither.


At the conference Chris and I struck up a fast friendship. When the conference be over, we exchanged addresses and said we would hold on to in touch.


In December, Chris made the first of copious treks from her home in Dundas, Ontario, Canada to Nebraska for a pop in. We went to call on my parents. My parents welcomed her.


Before Chris come into my life, I settled for anyone who showed a touch interest in me. I didn't care whether those women be good for me.


After two years of have a long distance relationship, Chris and I got tired of supporting our cell phone companies, United Airlines and two postal systems. In 1990 Chris decided to move to Nebraska. She have to choose between living in her own country and being near me. She chose me.


Most women wouldn't cross the street for me. I didn't know why Chris was choosing me over her homeland.


"Chris requests somebody to love her and give her space. You can do that better than anyone. Chris know this," Mom said.


Chris and I were married on October 10, 1999.


Our honeymoon recessional was the subject from "Mission: Impossible." We had to achieve an exception to the application of the state of Nebraska regulations for adults with disabilities to take married and have support and resources, get hold of Chris' green card, buy a van with a wheelchair lift up and build a wheelchair accessible house.


Sometimes it seemed as if we be doing the impossible. Of course, with God, pushiness and hard alliance, nothing is impossible. Of course, near God, perseverance and complicated teamwork, zilch is impossible.


When I was younger and susceptible, I sadly concluded that just two roads were available for nation with severe disabilities surrounded by dealing with their atmosphere of love -- the road of fantasizing or the road of expecting and accepting singular platonic love. Through Chris' steadfast, giving love, God has shown me that I be wrong.


There is another road, somewhat less traveled. It is the road of have someone with plenty courage, honesty and love to go against societal prejudices to see that a personality with a severe disability is experienced of loving and being loved.

No comments: